Reflections from a Creative Life

An author, wife, mother, and quilter comments on creativity

Monday, September 26, 2005

Life's Unexpected Turns

You know, I have the best of intentions about this blog. I truly don't plan to have two or more weeks go by between entries!

One of the things that keeps making me forget to update my blog is life's unexpected-ness. Ever hear the saying, "If you want to hear God laugh, just tell Him/Her your plans?"

Here's another version: "Every time I pick up a pencil to plan my life, God gives the table a good shake." (This from fellow writer, Bill Kritlow.)

My last three weeks have included a trip to visit inlaws, my husband's six-day trip for work, a BBQ related to his work, dance lessons, registering my children for fall activities, and to top it all off, a torn shoulder ligament.

That last one turned a magnifying glass on my daily life. For three days, I could do little but lay in my recliner and try not to move. It gave me time to think about what keeps my days so busy. It also gave me time to just enjoy being . . . or at least as much enjoyment as one can have while in pain. I feel like the enforced rest gave me a chance to catch up with myself, as it were.

Instead of going flat-out continuously, I spent three days living in the moment, just getting from one hour to the next.

I feel like I reconnected with my soul. I didn't have any life-alterning revelations. I just spent time with myself. I enjoyed it.

I think I'll make an appointment to do it again . . . this time without the pain.