Reflections from a Creative Life

An author, wife, mother, and quilter comments on creativity

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The First Day

Today is a big day for us . . . my youngest child begins school full time. I spent literally hours yesterday labelling everything, right down to the last pencil crayon (at the school's request). Made me wonder what I was thinking when I gave my children multi-syllabic names!

This also means a new beginning for me . . . the beginning of an opportunity to focus daily on my writing. I have three novels in various forms of beginning, and for months now, I've been looking forward to being able to work seriously and consistently on them.

So what are my greatest enemies as I face this change?

#1 - Perfectionism
#2 - Distraction by what seems urgent
#3 - Not taking time to nurture my soul

Stay tuned, and I'll explore these themes in greater detail in the days to come.