Reflections from a Creative Life

An author, wife, mother, and quilter comments on creativity

Friday, July 29, 2005

Slogging through the boxes

It's our second week in our new house after a cross-country move. I'm still surrounded by boxes and various belongings waiting for a place to go. Even though we move every 3 - 4 years, I forget from one move to the next just how tiring and yes, even frustrating, this phase is. I guess it's like childbirth. If we remembered exactly how it is, we'd make sure never to do it again!
But then, that's a lot like writing. If I remembered exactly from book to book how it felt, particularly on the days when I felt about as creative as yesterday's oatmeal, I'd never attempt another. Instead, I remember the highs -- the moments when the words came "just right" or the letter from a reader telling about how she cried when my character's heart was broken.
I know it's cliched, but it's also true. Every worthwhile endeavour has moments, even hours or days, when it feels anything but worthwhile. The point is to just keep going.